(cont) Why Not?...

As they embraced so many things were running through Teri's mind. But all she kept thinking about was how this was a happy ending to a horrible day and she was smiling just as hard on the inside as she was on the outside. After the hug she began to ask questions but, James put his finger on her lips saying shhhh. Teri had her cell phone in her hand he took the phone and put his number in her address book then called his phone so he can have her number as well. Still in shock she didn't stop him from doing anything, she just stood there in disarray. Dani saying, "Jay is that you?" brought Teri out of her trance. James turned and hugged Dani, and they started small talk very briefly. He turned and asked Teri, "what are your plans for tomorrow?" "So far just lunch with friends", she responded. He said, "good the rest of the day will be with me let's say around 5". Of course she responded yes, he hugged her again and as he pulled her close whispered in her ear "be sure to clear it with your man". Teri didn't respond to the comment as James sat back down with his boys. While walking away with Dani he yelled out 5 o'clock sharp.

As soon as they got to the table Dani started discussing the Brian issue. Everything went in one ear and out the other, Teri was in the zone trying to figure out what she was going to tell Brian. Then she was like to hell with him, but she didn't realize she said it out loud. Teri Shhhhh, Danielle shouted out people are looking at you. Teri looked around their table to see who was looking, then immediately asked her BF did James look over here? No, Dani replied, what is wrong with you? Teri began to run down the events that took place before they met up. Teri how could you? I told you he was with ole girl and you still gave him some. Hold on Dani, I know what you told me but at the end of the day Brian is still my man and I love him. So now everything is all good,? Girl you should have told him to kick rocks with flipflops. The two friends start to laugh and finally began their night of catching up and kicking it the way they have since they were kids.

Danielle loved when Teri came back in town. Even though she was only a few hours away that was the only time they could really catch up. Dani stayed home and went to the local university and to keep up with her no good boyfriend Derrick. Unfortunately in the process she got pregnant and dropped out of school. So now she works and lives her college life vicariously through her bestfriend. The drinks were good and the food made it even better. The atmosphere and company also helped Teri to keep her eyes at her table and not wander over to James. She could here his voice over the loud talking and music on the jukebox, she didn't understand how or why she had all this stuff going on in her mind and in her tummy. Dani I'm going to run to the restroom then we can go, Bet Dani replied.

As she was walking back to the table she no longer seen the back of the Marc Buchanan leather jacket. I can't believe he didn't say bye, you still got it bad for him after all these years wow. Shut up! I mean we haven't seen each other since I transfered high schools I just expected, oh well he probably won't call either. Damn shame that somethings never change. What are you talking about Dani? He waited before he left but one of his boys had to make a run he still knows you like the back of his hand. Whatever you don't know what you are talking about, yes I do he told me to give you this. He said that he will not hear the end of it when he picks you up tomorrow if he didn't say good-bye. Teri took the letter and couldn't stop smiling.

It was Friday morning and Teri had mixed feelings about today. She was excited and nervous all at the same time. See James knows about Brian, they were still really good friends when they met in high school. But Brian doesn't know about James and if he did he would have a fit. As she got ready for lunch with her girls she kept thinking about the note he left at the table with Dani. She really didn't know what was going to come out of the night, but her main concern was not running into Brian while they were out.

Lunch was great and now she was changing into outfit number 2 for the day. After getting situated she read the note again:

Sorry I couldn't stay to say goodnight but I will make it up to you tomorrow. Make sure to dress comfortable but cute and pack a over night bag cause you are staying with me. If you get home from lunch early call and let me know and I will be on my way.

Until Tomorrow,
"J"

Teri didn't want to seem eager but she called and they agreed on 3pm instead. When she heard the doorbell ring her heart dropped. She ran down the stairs to open the door and she realized right then and there what she missed out on. James still knew her better then anyone, he was standing there with a teddy bear in his arms for her. Awwww thank you Jay, he is so cute. I know you love stuffed animals so I thought of you when I was out running my errands. Where are your parents? My dad is out doing whatever and my mom is at the grocery store. But both remember you and told me to tell you hello and they will catch up with you next time. Well shall we go? and do you have your over night bag? James, you were serious? Yes,so do you need time to pack one? T, we have a lot of catching up to do and I don't want to have to stop and bring you home. But I will be here until next thursday, Teri said . But I won't, I leave for Europe Sunday morning and when I saw you I knew right then and there I wanted to spend my last two days with you. So go grab your things so we can go we have reservations at 8 and have time to kick it before then.

Teri ran upstairs and she was smiling and wanting to cry all at the same time. All these years and now he is leaving in two days. Good thing she packed a bag just in case it wasn't a joke, I'm coming let me grab one last thing. As Teri came back down and grabbed her things James asked, whatever happen with Brian? She continued locking the door as James walked over to his truck in the driveway. Teri, didn't answer, not because she was ashamed or didn't love Brian but because she didn't understand what she was feeling right then. As she hopped up into the Escalade, she said by the way how long are you going to be in Europe? A year or two not sure yet, James responded. Teri told herself in he mind not to get her hopes up. Little did she know that James had been wishing for this day for years......

2 comments:

  1. Hmmmm. I am wondering how serious this James character is. Will this be a fantasy fulfilled or is he serious about a relationship. He didn't even care who else she might be seeing. I guess he's got it like that. Can't wait to see what happens on this "overnight" stay.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the confidence that James exerts!

    ReplyDelete